Friday, June 11, 2010

Final week of Training

I decided to make some adjustments to my bike this week as well as upgrade some of the ailing elements that have taken a beating over the past few months of training.  After suffering a few punctures of late I decided that it would be a good idea to replace the existing tires and tubes, which is also a good idea considering I will be cycling well over 1,000 kms in the next 3 weeks.  My mate Ash from Runways/Cycleways recently put a set of Ultremo tires on his bike before his trip to the Pyrennes and recommended I do the same.  I dropped the bike in on Tuesday lunchtime and it was ready a couple of hours later thanks to the hard work of Raul.  He also replaced the chain which had stretched quite a bit from being dragged up so many hills.  The bike looked practically brand new when it was returned to me!  

Anyone who spends a lot of time on a bike understands the important of a saddle which is a good if not perfect fit.  It was clear from a Bicyle Fitting that I did a while ago with Ash that my saddle wasn't exactly ideal for my body geometry.  So this week I replaced the standard Boardman one with a Specialized ToupĂ©.

Its a pretty skimpy sight but its very comfortable.  And so I went for a spin to get a feel for my "new" bike.  The new tires felt amazing on the road.  As did the general feel of the bike.  However, after 70kms the maligned piriformis syndrome began to creep in, which causes compression of the sciatic nerve.  If manifests itself as a pain in the arse, literally, as well as pins and needles in the leg or foot.  I'm hoping its because the saddle was too low, so a couple more spins and tweak will hopefully iron out the problem and I will discover the sweet spot for the saddle height. 

This Sunday will be my last long spin before Les Dix Alpes.  I will then have one week of rest and eating well before I fly to Como on the 19th.  The Wicklow200 which is a 200km cycle around the mountains of Wicklow takes place every June and is attended by over 2,000 cyclists of all ages.  Here's hoping for some nice weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment